Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chirp, Chirp

So far, PSU's spring sports have been very successful, reaching the SUNYAC playoffs in baseball, softball, and lacrosse. However, as I make my way around campus in the warm weather, I watch a sport that has no collegiant tourney, no PSU banner, or even any recognition. Nonetheless, it's one of the more popular sports in the world.

I'm talking about cricket. I have no idea what it is, or how to play. It looks like a simple version of baseball, and the players seem to have more fun playing it. A few of my suitemates are Sri Lankan, so one day I decided to find out what it was all about. After a couple hours of standing there watching, and with a couple denials of playing due to the complete lack of understanding, I learned that cricket is very simple.

Here's how you play in easy terms. There's a bowler; he's the guy who hurls the hardball at the batter. The bowler wants to hit the wickets behind the batter; the batter wants to drill the ball. There are runners who run back and forth try to get to their respective "bases" before someone either catches the ball or throws the ball and hits the wicket.

If the runners are all safe, 1 point.
Ground-rule double-4 points.
Home Run-6 points.

Ok, I'm ready. It's fascinating to see such a foreign, but so popular game played at PSU. I love the action, but even with the rules, I have NO idea what's going on. Oh well, let's play!

No comments:

Post a Comment